Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Unexpected but Manageable?


"Know that life just moved in like that storm the other day.... unexpected but manageable"

I wish I could take credit for that quote, but I can't.  It was the last sentence in a recent email from a special friend, whose family has been besieged by numerous health issues.  Just below that email, was a message from another dear friend with news of a possible long-term life battle in her family.

Unexpected but manageable?

As of this writing, I am on the other side of the pounding storms.  The deaths of loved ones, health difficulties, uncertain financial future, career decisions, relationship impasses, and even the "thorn in my side"; have taken a leave of absence - for the time being!  Hindsight allows me to reflect on those times from the vantage point of what it was that made them manageable.  God was always in the center!

Okay, not such an astounding statement right,  " God in the midst of the storm". How many ways has it been told and yet for me it bears repeating over and over again.  When the wind is blowing, the hail pelting, and lightning flashing, I don't feel very calm.  In fact it makes me downright uneasy and scared.  But when I look back with lenses cleared by rays of sunshine, I see the Angels.  They always come in a variety of guises; phone calls, emails, cards, hugs, walks, words spoken and unspoken, a shoulder to cry on  - and all from God.  He sends Himself through my family (which includes canine family of course), friends, acquaintances, and even strangers.  Here’s another noticing; when I’m in the middle of a storm, there’s always someone close by who is basking in good weather, ready to walk alongside and vice versa.  Isn’t that just like God?!

That’s how the unexpected is manageable for me, God’s Angels!

Have you seen any lately?

Been one lately?



2 comments:

  1. This post reminds me so much of my journey with my one little word in 2011 - FAITH. One of the exercises we had to do was to choose songs that reminded us of our word. It seemed fitting to share one of those songs with you now. Whenever I hear it, I am reminded that God always shines His light out, even during the storms. It's one of my favorite songs!

    On a Prayer by Garth Brooks

    There’s a ship out on the ocean,
    At the mercy of the sea.
    It’s been tossed about, lost and broken
    Wondering aimlessly.
    And god somehow you know that ship is me.

    Cause there’s a lighthouse in the harbor
    Shining faithfully.
    Pouring its light out across the water
    For this sinking soul to see
    That someone out there still believes in me.

    Chorus:
    On a prayer, in a song, I hear your voice, and it keeps me hanging on, on.
    Raining down, against the wind,
    I'm reaching out till we reach the circle’s end, when you come back to me again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this I see myself in the boat surrounded by huge waves, fear just as big, my heart pounding ready to jump out of my chest. I am alone in the boat with no thought of what to do.

    As I read on my heart rate lowers slightly, I can see an image just over the wave, could it be Jesus? I am not noticing the waves pounding in the boat as much. The image comes closer the waves become smaller my breathing is regular... it is Jesus.

    He climbs in the boat and I am no longer alone.

    the following quote I have read over and over yet need to read a thousand times more:

    Sometimes the Lord calms the storm.
    Sometimes the Lord lets the storm rage and calms His child.

    ReplyDelete