Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lent: An emptying out and filling up


Whenever I hear the word Lent, craving chocolate comes to mind.  Most likely because that is what I would choose to give-up during the forty days of temptation in the wilderness.  I never quite understood how this denial would bring me closer to Jesus, but then again I’m the proverbial ‘good girl’, who does what she’s supposed to do – and asks questions later!

However, this year appears to be starting out differently.  It’s those darned buttons I wrote about a few weeks ago!  I’m noticing a pattern in which ones are being pushed.  Within the variety of size, color, and shape, there’s a common theme; and if you want to know the truth, I think God’s the one doing the pushing!

I’m sensing new vistas on the horizon, but I can’t make the journey carrying the same old tired looking luggage packed full of worn-out buttons!  Consequently, God keeps giving me opportunities to choose a better way of dealing with the unwanted stings that life dishes out.  

And I’m beginning to wonder if perhaps this is my Lenten journey with Jesus in the wilderness; an emptying out and filling up – not an either/or, but a both/and.

Maybe giving up chocolate wasn’t so hard after all!


No comments:

Post a Comment