Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

God Spelled D-O-G



God speaks to me through my dogs.  I don’t know what it is, but they teach me about life and myself and – yes – I think God.  New Year’s weekend we finally laid Tyson’s ashes to rest.  He died in July and it has  taken us this long to give him back to the earth.  I was surprised by the emotions that sprang up as Bill started to dig a new place in “Lucy’s Garden”.  I recalled the poem I wrote when Maya passed away in March and was not at all happy to feel the unwelcomed visitor of grief once more.

As we sat on the brick wall, after Bill set Tyson’s marker on his grave, Spud (our newly adopted two year old Boxer) came zooming by with one of his toys in his mouth.  He leaped around the backyard in shear joy, tossing his toy here and there with complete abandon.  Just as fast as it came, my sadness turned to gratitude for this new companion who had brought such happiness back into our home.

Isn’t that just like God, to bring us a smile when it is  most needed and least expected? 

                                    
     
Grief

Does it lie
inside me,
waiting to
be awakened?
Or is it
a visitor
coming unannounced?
Either way
it drifts
into my heart.
Makes a nest
inside my soul.
For now
I must surrender,
to this
uninvited guest.

March 18, 2011

                                                         



No comments:

Post a Comment