Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

God Spelled D-O-G

PERFECTION


Spudster and I were walking down Foothill Blvd. last Sunday, when I stopped to talk with a former colleague who was coming out of church (I had attended an earlier service, lest you think I was goofing off on the Sabbath!)  She looked lovely in her “all-black” outfit, which clearly was a magnet for my “all-white” Spud!

 As I continued to lure Spud with treats to keep his distance from her Sunday finest, she laughed and said after raising three little ones who drooled, spit up, and released various other bodily fluids all over her, she learned to give up on the idea of perfection years ago!  I replied she caught on much faster than me; I have only recently begun to take a peek at my ridiculous attempts of appearing perfect!

I think I’ve made headway and then I am caught off guard.  Luckily God has a wonderful sense of humor.  You see my boy, Spud?  What’s the first thing you notice?  I’ll just bet it is his cock-eyed ear!  That was the first thing I spotted, only I didn’t find it endearing. His ear was goofy, he was not perfect and I wasn’t so sure I wanted to adopt this dog with the “defective” ear!

Well, most of you know the end of this story.  I am totally head over heals in love with Spud.  He is my buddy, who gets me out walking twice a day, loves to go on bye-bye rides, and is the best morning cuddler ever!  And here’s what I have noticed when we are out and about together, the first thing people do when they see Spud is smile and say how they love that ear!  “What a great face!” I hear time and time again.  I simply nod and say it’s his natural look!

So what attracts people to my Spud?  His imperfection!  I thought I had learned that by now, evidently not!  As I said, I’m glad God has a sense of humor – and patience!


No comments:

Post a Comment