Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Acceptance


Today I was in a conversation with two women, each of whom is dealing with a loved one’s decline into Alzheimer’s disease.  The pain was clearly visible as they shared their stories, not only for their relative suffering from this disease, but also for the family members learning how to cope. 

Alzheimer’s is a hideous illness, ensnaring everyone in its circle.  I know all too well, as this was my mother’s battle for four years prior to her death, which was ten years ago this September.  Therefore, my mind was easily taken back to the memories of the journey mother and I walked together.  Oddly enough it did not bring sadness, but gratefulness, as I recalled the peace and joy we ultimately shared.

I wanted to give these women some small sense of hope on this daunting road in which they find themselves.  As I recalled my frustration, anger, and fear upon hearing of mother’s diagnosis, I realized the key to moving through my resistance was acceptance.  Bargaining with God (actually railing at God!), pleading with doctors for a miracle medication, wanting mother to look like her "old self" after a trip to the beauty salon, etc. – none of that helped; not me or my mother!  It wasn’t until I let go, gave in, accepted and said, “OK Lord, I guess this is the way it is and I totally give this to You, because I have no idea what to do!”  That was the beginning of peace!

Acceptance, isn’t that just the key needed for most everything?  Why do I hesitate to pick it up?  Perhaps I’m afraid of the room on the other side of the door the key unlocks.  I think there might be a few areas in my life where that acceptance key has grown rusty.  Today was a reminder, it’s time to clean it off and see what it opens!


No comments:

Post a Comment