Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Marker Events


Who would ever think painting one’s house could be a marker event; that line in the sand that separates a before and after segment of life?  Well, I’m here to tell you it has been for me – two times!

Ten years ago we gave our home a facelift.  It not only needed a fresh coat of paint, but a change of color as well!  As luck would have it (I choose to see it as a God shot) the man who owned the painting company had a Master of Divinity degree! I recall in depth conversations in the midst of checking out color palates and deciding whether or not to boldly use burgundy on our front door! I wanted to ‘warm’ the house up a bit; to have an invitational and welcoming entryway.

This was also a time of huge change in my life.  I left my sixteen-year teaching position with Los Angeles and returned to a classroom in my hometown.  In addition to a shift in career paths, it was the period of my mother’s rapidly spiraling decline into the disease of Alzheimer’s. 

So painting our house represented a new direction, a stepping out into uncharted territory – a ‘marker event’.  However it was never so clear as two months after completion of the painting, when mother finally succumbed to her disease.  It had been a long difficult struggle; emotionally, mentally, and physically.  I very much wanted to celebrate her life and the healing that had been part of the journey she and I shared.  After the memorial service, I invited everyone over for a reception.  That was actually the first occasion to receive friends and family at our welcoming entryway with the boldly beautiful burgundy door!  I was saying goodbye to mother with grace and dignity.  And one chapter of my life was coming to a close, as another promising chapter lay ahead.  That line in the sand, symbolized by a fresh coat of paint!

Fast-forward ten years; I contacted our Master of Divinity painter.  I could no longer ignore the peeling wood and faded stucco!  But remember, it was only two years ago that we were going to sell this house; we had determined our “thorn” had won the battle and we would leave!    Ever so gradually, we have had a change of heart.  This was OUR HOME, filled with years of love and memories.  It was worth fighting for!  As was the case a decade ago, I had amazing discussions with Mr. Master of Divinity painter about thorns, forgiveness, letting go, and moving on!  About half way through the completion of painting, I realized this was about much more than freshening up tired looking paint.  I was reclaiming our home.  I am ready to remove the ‘thorn’ as the focus of my life; it’s time to move forward.  Another line in the sand, symbolized by a fresh coat of paint!

So there you have it!  Marker Events with a paint brush!

No comments:

Post a Comment