Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Recognizing Gifts - Of Those Closest To Us


Before I begin with my meandering thoughts, I must make two disclaimers.

1.  In no way is the biblical reference meant personally. ( REALLY!)
2.  If you talk to Todd soon, no need to tell him he was the subject of my blog. (REALLY!)


Last Friday, the Space Shuttle Endeavor made its way home to Los Angeles.  It was quite an exciting day around here.  All the TV stations were carrying Endeavor’s progress live, as it headed down the coast from San Francisco and made passes over strategic Southland locations.  One of those, JPL, is right here in La Canada (although the newscasters always place it in Pasadena). 

Todd joined his father-in-law, Don (a recently retired JPL Engineer – yes he IS a Rocket Scientist!), at a spot Don had scoped out the previous day.  He figured it was the perfect place to see Endeavor as it made its loop over the JPL facility; below is the picture Todd took of that historic moment.


When I received this photo, I was blown away (pardon the pun!)  What a shot – and my son took it!  I sent it out to friends and family, from whom I continue to get responses of  “WOW”, “Amazing”, “Awesome”, “What a photographer”.

Yeah, but it’s just Todd.

 Bill tells me “Well he is a professional photographer, Carol!”

Yeah, but he’s just our son.

As I have been reflecting on my reactions, not only to this picture, but my cavalier attitude about Todd’s gifts, I thought of the Gospel story of Jesus not being recognized in his own hometown.  After all, he was just the carpenter’s son.

You see where I am going with this?  How many times do I do that?

 People look at the beautiful bonsai Bill has so carefully and lovingly tended and I say

Yeah, but he’s just my husband.

Sound familiar?  Perhaps not; but as for me, this has been a huge “God Shot”!  I am quick to admire the talents of mere acquaintances or even strangers, compliment them on their achievements and accomplishments.  Of course, that is a good thing. But maybe, just maybe, I should take a look at those closest to me and not take for granted their God-given gifts.

So – Yes!  Todd is one great photographer!

And – yeah – he’s my son!




1 comment:

  1. One can remain humble yet acknowledge their own God given gifts as well, thank you for sharing yours in these writings.

    ReplyDelete