Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

98% or 2% ?


Recently I attended a women’s retreat at an incredibly beautiful retreat center near Santa Barbara.  Everything about the weekend was great; the weather, the setting, the speaker, the small groups, even the food was delicious!

Well, let me amend that just a bit, ALMOST everything was great.  My dear friend, with whom I’ve attended these retreats for many years, slipped, fell, and what we thought was a badly sprained ankle turned out to be a broken fibula, which needed surgery!  My first response, upon learning of her fall, being the compassionate caring person that I am, was “Does this mean I have to drive your car – a stick shift – all the way home?”

But I digress….

You know how sometimes God speaks to you out of the blue, when you’re not even anticipating a “Breaking News Alert” from above?  That happened to me on our first evening in the small group.  I shared how 98% of my life was good, but I have this nagging 2% that continues to capture the lion's share of my focus.  A very special lady in our group spoke these words of wisdom, “ Yes, isn’t that just what we do, turn the 2% into the 98%?”

OK God, I hear you loud and clear!  It’s up to me on which 98% I choose to put my attention. 

The rest of the retreat was icing on the cake!   And PTL, I drove my friend and I home without burning up the clutch or stripping the gears!

No comments:

Post a Comment