Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Six-letter Word . . .


Change!  This has probably never been a word used to describe one of my stronger skills for navigating through life!  I prefer routine, traditions, predictable, status quo etc.– you get the picture?  I clutch firmly and hate to let go, whether it is something as big as employment, as complicated as relationships, or as simple as going to a hairdresser (although this was actually one of the more difficult changes for me to make!!) 

Perhaps I’ve always figured if circumstances didn’t change, I had control over the situation (control – now there’s a seven-letter word I’ve always loved!)  Kind of silly when you stop to think about it, how can I stop change?  There are all kinds of opportunities waiting, if I only move out the clutter and make space for them.  I guess I’m a slow learner, but I am making progress.  I mean I did switch hairdressers after twelve years!

So how about you?  What is that six-letter word to you; friend or foe?  Or maybe it fluctuates on the continuum  - just like change itself!

Change

Decades tiptoeing
around it,
as if avoidance
could halt
life’s natural progression.
Days, months, years,
wrapped in
tidy packages
tied with
predictable ribbons.
Still,
it finds
an opening,
unwilling to be
boxed in
or
shut out.
Ever present,
never ending,
sometimes gently,
sometimes forcefully,
often unexpectedly,
intruding on order
and carefully laid plans.
Until it is
welcomed
and
embraced.
Lovingly invited
on the journey,
as a familiar friend,
not an
unwanted stranger.

April 12, 2013

1 comment:

  1. Change scares me. I love your poem capturing the essence that change is coming despite my attitude.

    ReplyDelete